Nature connection educator
Whenua Iti Outdoors (WIO) live to the Vision “Experiential Learning Inspiring Positive Change”. Opportunities for experiential learning, in the outdoors, in a positive way that promotes learning and personal growth, are at the core of the WIO's vision. These benefits are holistic and wide ranging, and we strive towards a space where access to these experiences are available to and valued by all.
Our project has been developed in partnership with local iwi and conservation groups and will operate under the management and operational structure of WIO. The objective of the project is to deliver nature connection experiences to schools, iwi and community groups. The programmes aim to strengthen physical, mental and spiritual connections of people and communities to whenua and improve outcomes for biodiversity. The project is designed to overcome the barriers that make nature an abstract concept for young people and therefore limit action for the environment. Nature connection builds skills, confidence, connection, passion and care for the natural environment on a local, national and global scale improving biodiversity.
Essential skills and attributes –
- Ability to actively uphold the principles of Te Tiriti/Treaty of Waitangi and support development of Kaupapa Māori programmes.
- Ability to effectively engage young people aged 5-18 years old. Excellent, demonstrated teaching or group facilitation experience.
- Connection to and strong interest in working in and restoring the natural environment.
- Experience designing and/or delivering Environmental focused and/or Kaupapa Māori focused programmes.
- A strong understanding of the NZ education system.
Full job description attached. 0.8 FTE.
How to apply
Please send your CV, and direct enquiries to:
(027) 298 1007
Vacancy reference #:1HAHYe
Whenua Iti Outdoors