Centre manager (kaiwhakahaere matua)
He Manu Hou (meaning 'a new fledgling, ready to fly') was established as a result of the Māori community identifying the need to keep te reo alive in South Canterbury. It is a bilingual early childhood centre where preschoolers learn in te reo Māori and English. With a current role of 25, and an enrolment waiting list, the centre continues to grow in strength. As their present manager moves on to explore new pathways, He Manu Hou is now seeking its next leader to join their close-knit team.
The ideal candidate is a qualified ECE professional who brings an understanding of business management, proven leadership skills, and a genuine interest (or experience) in bilingual practice. Knowledge of te reo and tikanga Māori would be advantageous but is not a requirement. The next manager will have an excellent understanding of Ministry of Education guidelines and best practice, professional ethics and licencing regulations.
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Overall management of the centre including financial performance and sustainability, budgets, funding, and liaising with the Ministry of Education
- Leadership of a team of 8 ECE teachers/kaiako including overseeing performance, training and development, roster management, HR processes
- Building strong relationships with staff, tamariki, whānau and the wider community including government agencies, NGOs, community groups, maraes
- Reporting functions to BOT, Ministry of Education and other key stakeholders
- General administration, enrolments
- Relief teaching as required.
Enquiries are welcome to Karen Morland after 18 January.
How to apply
Please supply your cover letter and CV, detailing your relevant skills, experience and qualifications, as well as your interest in this special role, and direct enquiries to:
(03) 688 4805
Vacancy reference #:1HAG39
ECE centre details
50 Bridge Street, Washdyke, Timaru
50 Bridge Road, Timaru 7910