Teaching assistant – Te Poutama Ārahi Rangatahi
- Unique challenging rewarding role
- Fixed-term July – December.
Te Poutama Ārahi Rangatahi provides a comprehensive and integrated residential treatment programme for adolescent males who have been identified to be at high risk of repeating sexually abusive behaviours and have been referred by Oranga Tamariki from throughout New Zealand. The residence is responsible for the education, therapy and accommodation/care to assist youth establish non-abusive lifestyles.
We are looking for a resilient and pro-active person to work 35 hours per week in an education setting with adolescent youth. This role provides support to a residential based education team ensuring quality education for all youth is delivered.
To successfully undertake this role you will need :
- A recognised appropriate teaching qualification (desirable)
- Previous experience providing classroom support in an education setting
- Experience working with young people who present ‘challenging behaviours’
- A thorough understanding of current teaching and learning theory and practice
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Resilience to work in an emotionally demanding environment
- A full clean NZ drivers licence
- A current 1st aid certificate (desirable).
If you thrive on variety, enjoy flexible working conditions, and already have previous successful experience working in a classroom setting then this could be the role for you. To be successful in the role you will need excellent communication skills, a passion for working with youth, flexibility in your approach and ideally some specialist interest/expertise or skills external to the classroom.
Barnardos is New Zealand’s leading children’s charity, doing more for Kiwi kids. Every year our services and people make a real and positive difference in the lives of thousands of children, young people and their families.