Professional practice fellow/secondary science teacher - NZ Marine Studies Centre
New Zealand Marine Studies Centre Department of Marine Science
The New Zealand Marine Studies Centre (NZMSC) delivers a range of marine science programmes for primary and secondary students from southern NZ schools (Otago, Southland, Canterbury and Westland). An authentic science learning environment is provided at the Department of Marine Science's Portobello site.
Students engage in science through field trips to local marine habitats, boat journeys, and practical sessions in our specialist teaching laboratory. Access to seawater aquaria, live marine species, a range of scientific equipment and scientific expertise create learning opportunities not available in a classroom. The programmes link to the NZ Curriculum and focus on the nature of science strand, support achievement for a diversity of students including Māori and Pasifika and are tailored to meet specific learning outcomes.
The prime function for this position is leading the development and delivery of the NZMSC school education programme. This will involve teaching field/laboratory based marine science programmes to secondary school students primarily and associated administrative duties.
Flexibility in working hours will be required as the job will require some weekend and evening work.
Your skills and experience:
- Tertiary level science qualification and able to demonstrate practical science skills
- Teaching diploma and recent experience teaching science at secondary level
- Knowledge of the NZ Curriculum (primary and secondary)
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Knowledge of marine science and New Zealand coastal habitats
- Physically able to teach all day long in the laboratory and field (including clambering over the rocky shoreline and teaching on the research vessel).
This is a full-time (1 FTE), fixed-term position until 22 December 2021 based at our centre in Portobello.
How to apply
To submit your application, including CV and cover letter please use the vacancy link below (quote reference number 1902316).
(021) 279 5842
Tertiary provider details
362 Leith Street, Dunedin North, Dunedin
P O Box 56, Dunedin, 9054