Nature Play - Linking the Curriculum to the Outdoor Classroom
Linking the Curriculum to the Outdoor Classroom
This workshop will build the confidence of educators who want to use a local space or their own space for outdoor nature play with their tamariki. It will provide skills, knowledge and ideas to support children’s play in an outdoor environment. Aimed at ECE, primary and specialist teachers, the day will be a mix of theory, practical sessions, korero and experiences all designed to support a variety of learning styles and build teachers confidence with nature-based pedagogy.
- Understanding of the research and benefits of outdoor play and learning in nature considering a te ao Māori view
- Developing your outdoor environment: schema, loose parts and risky play
- Recognising learning and linking the curriculum
- Risk assessment and group management outdoors
- A practical whittling or fire lighting session.
The day will be hosted by Celia Hogan, from Little Kiwis Nature Play. Celia has worked in outdoor education and nature education for the past 24 years. She runs a Bush Kindy and Bush School for families in Ōtautahi (Christchurch) and provides professional development training for teachers and parents on all things nature.
Where: Wellington East Girls' College
Morning Tea provided, BYO lunch or purchase at school cafe
Cost: $200 per person
Email email@example.com for a registration form.
Contact: Sue Perry
(04) 385 8514