Teaching Phonics to Support Reading and Writing
A ten-week professional learning course for teachers of beginning readers and writers with Louise Dempsey.
Understanding phonological awareness and phonics is crucial to supporting the development of early reading and writing. This series of workshops will increase teacher knowledge and confidence to plan systematic and interactive mini-lessons to teach students word and sub-word level skills so they can successfully decode words for reading and encode words for writing.
The course includes:
- four live 90-minute online workshops
- four on-demand 60-minute workshops.
- develop subject knowledge about phonological awareness and phonics
- unpack the progression of phonic skills
- learn high-impact activities to teach word and sub-word level skills
- review practical ways to support students to apply word and sub-word level skills in reading and writing.
New Zealand (nationwide)
Contact: Sasha Farry
(021) 714 497