Professional Development: Understanding Self-Harm
Who should attend this webinar?
Anyone who works in a professional care role or supports people through all forms of grief, loss and difficult life situations e.g. Social Workers, Teachers, Counsellors, Doctors, EMT, Corrections, Mental Health, Hospice, Volunteers etc.
This webinar presented by Dr Fiona Pienaar will look at understanding the nature of self-harm and what recent research development tells us.
Self-harm has been highlighted as a major public health concern, both nationally and internationally, with serious non-fatal intentional self-harm injuries recently reaching their highest recorded rate. Research published in 2019 has identified self-harmful thoughts and behaviours as both multidimensional and complex in nature.
Key Learning Points
- Understanding the nature of Self-harm; Definitions
- Recent Research developments
- Misconceptions and what we can learn from the voices of those impacted by Self-harm
- Risk and protective factors associated with self-harm; Barriers to help-seeking
- Effective Interventions, strategies, support, and your ‘coalface’ views
- National and International Methods & Resources
- Support options available in NZ and Australia
- Wellbeing and Self-care in your professional role
All our webinars are 120mins (2hrs) in length and delivered through Zoom platform. They are presented live and recorded. Recordings can be accessed by registrants for a limited time after the initial session, this gives more flexibility for access and revision.
CPD/OPD Certification and Points/Credits
We provide a Certificate of Participation for all our training courses. The requirement for receiving a certificate to confirm professional development is as follows:
- You must view a minimum of 80% of a live presented webinar.
- If you were unable to attend the live session you will be required to register for access to the webinar recording.
- If you watched the live session but had to leave early or fall under the 80% requirement, you will need to register for access to the webinar recording.
$79 + GST per person with group discounts available for 5 or more
New Zealand (nationwide)