Maths in a New Entrant Setting
Developing maths skills through a real-life, cross-curricular, problem-solving and theme based approach.
This course will explore:
- Practical and visual ways to teach real life, integrated maths for new entrant children and to bring the fun back!
- Links between maths and literacy, maths and the arts, maths and ICT, maths and topic/inquiry/science
- Making links between ECE and the new entrant setting, building on and continuing to develop early foundation skills
- Looking at examples of different maths approaches and having opportunities to collaborate about the way we might plan and organise maths during our week, sharing ideas about the different ways our maths programme can work effectively for the age group we teach
- Activities for developing problem solving skills
- The importance of developing early place value concepts
- Setting up effective maths learning areas and ideas for storing, accessing and using equipment and resources
- Sharing ideas for maths games, independent activities, websites and further readings.
Contact: Ruth Dalgarno
(09) 835 0912