Developing an Effective Writing Programme
Sheena and Louise will share practical ideas for planning and teaching writing at emergent, early and fluent levels, with reference to ‘The Writing Book’.
Aims for the workshop:
- To introduce the key principles of an effective writing programme
- To break down the components of a balanced writing programme
- To explore the features of both long and short writing lessons
Session 1: Introduction
- Gradual release of responsibility model
- Reading/writing links
- Overview of the Writing Toolkits.
The writing classroom
- Creating a culture of risk taking for writing
- Organising guided writing.
Planning for writing
- Authentic opportunities for writing
- Text types vs other writing forms.
Session 2: The writing lesson
- Generating ideas for writing
- The writing lesson.
Session 3: The skills toolkit
- Organising ideas for writing
- Mini-lessons to teach specific skills
- Quick Write activities.
Contact: Sasha Farry
(021) 714 497