Te Tiriti o Waitangi: Making Meaningful Connections – Christchurch
This workshop presentation will build knowledge of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and show how we as kaiako can make personal connections to the principles (through our philosophies, procedures and practices) that are authentic and meaningful. By breathing meaning into the principles, tamariki will see them as a natural consequence of growing up here in Aotearoa New Zealand.
This interactive presentation will:
- Give historical context (for both Aotearoa and Te Tiriti o Waitangi)
- Identify key differences in the Te Ao Māori and Te Ao Pākehā versions of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- Provide an examination of the Te Tiriti o Waitangi principles, the meaning and purpose, and how these can be authentically integrated into everyday teaching.
- Unpack differences between Te Ao Māori and Te Ao Pākehā
- Highlight how Te Tiriti o Waitangi is woven through ECE documents
- Connect principles to philosophy
Outcomes for the presentation include:
- Normalisation of te reo, tikanga and matauranga Māori in practice and the environment
- Encouraging personal connections so that kaiako are more inclined to engage in learning about and through matauranga Māori and that learning is sustainable (for kaiako)
- Deepen understanding of Māori values and tikanga
- Provide impetus and direction for kaiako on their own personal bicultural journey.
He tina ki runga, he tāmore ki raro
In order to flourish above, one must be firmly rooted below