Breaking Barriers, NIP and Big Ideas
Join us to become confident and capable in using the Numicon approach.Join us to become confident and capable in using the Numicon approach.
We are running a course to equip you to run Breaking Barriers, the Numicon Intervention Programme and Big Ideas.
• Breaking Barriers is a differentiated programme written for teachers and TA’s and specialist teachers working with students who have High Learning Needs/Special Needs
• The Numicon Intervention Programme is a 15 week programme supporting students who are not making age expected progress in Y1–9, covering Level 1 and 2a of the Curriculum
• Big Ideas is a catch-up course for 12 weeks from students in Y6–9 who need a reminder or revision of the big ideas in Maths – Place Value, Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication Division, Fractions Decimals and Percentages.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for Maths lead teachers, teachers, teacher aides, SENCOs, RTLB's, LSC’s, MOE staff and specialist tutors. It is intended for teachers who are involved with classroom and/or remedial mathematics teaching.
The day will cover:
- What is Numicon?
- Bruner, CPA and the impact of using structured apparatus
- Teaching resources, Apparatus knowledge
- How does Numicon help children learn so easily?
- Understanding number sense- Difficulties in understanding maths and dyscalculia
- In-depth knowledge and strategies with + - x ÷
- Place value and fractions
- Understanding the programmes Breaking Barriers, Numicon Intervention Programme and Big Ideas.
- Planning and assessment, linked to the NZ Curriculum.
North Shore Auckland Venue TBC.