A Balanced Reading Programme – Reviewing the Approaches
In this workshop, Sheena and Louise will review the modelled, shared, guided and independent approaches and share practical ideas for planning a realistic and manageable reading programme at all levels.
Session 1: An overview of a balanced reading programme
- Unpacking the reading process
- Creating opportunities for oral language in the reading programme.
Session 2: Shared reading
- Using the shared reading approach at all levels of the school to explicitly teach comprehension, critical thinking and decoding.
Session 3: Guided reading
- Planning and organising guided reading lessons
- Reviewing a range of generic activities that engage students, reduce teacher planning and offer an alternative to worksheets.
Session 4: Independent reading
- Reviewing the importance of independent reading, including ideas to motivate and engage students in the reading process.