Introduction to Relationship and Sexuality Education
This half-day introductory course is intended for primary, intermediate, secondary school teachers, and those working in alternative education settings. It will focus on learning more about healthy relationships, sexuality education and exploring ways that it can be delivered using a best-practice, comprehensive approach.
The course includes:
- Exploring the concept of comprehensive relationship and sexuality education
- Sexuality education in The New Zealand Curriculum
- Identifying possible barriers to delivering comprehensive programmes
- Sexuality and the law
- Current research and trends
- Values clarification in relation to relationship and sexuality education
- How to create a positive and safe learning environment for teaching relationship and sexuality education
- Some effective teaching and learning strategies for delivering comprehensive relationship and sexuality education
- Practice responding to questions
- Building confidence in this subject area
- Recommended resources, support agencies and organisations.
Suitable for teachers of young people at a primary, intermediate, or secondary school level.
Family Planning also offers free in-school professional development and capability building nationally.
Please contact us at (04) 384 4349 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this option if the upcoming course dates and times do not work for your school or organisation.