Gender and Sexual Diversity
This one-day course is for teachers, guidance counsellors, school nurses, social workers, community and youth workers. It explores diversity in gender, sex, and sexuality. It includes values exploration and creating supportive environments for all students, as well as a focus on using the Affirming Diversity teaching resource.
The course includes:
- Clarification of terminology and identities
- Relevant legislation and school requirements in Aotearoa New Zealand
- How to create a positive and safe learning environment for talking about diverse sexualities and genders
- Exploring personal values and attitudes
- An in-depth exploration of the Affirming Diversity resource, including themes, lesson plans and activities
- Practice responding to questions
- Recommended resources, support agencies and organisations.
Suitable for teachers, guidance counsellors, school nurses, social workers, community and youth workers.
Family Planning also offers free in-school teacher professional development and capability building nationally. Please contact us at (04) 384 4349 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this option if the upcoming course dates and times do not work for your school or organisation.