Frances Steinberg: Paying Attention to Attention
Frances Steinberg: Paying attention to attention: finding the causes and solutions for poor concentration and distractibility
Do you have students who daydream rather than concentrate or who don’t sit still long enough to learn? How many times do you need to repeat instructions that are still not followed? Attention influences how we learn, interact socially, and maintain appropriate behaviour.
This exciting course will examine key causes of poor concentration and distractibility including:
- Autistic spectrum disorders
- Foetal alcohol spectrum disorders
- Medical / biological issues
- Visual / auditory / kinesthetic processing disorders
- Social / emotional / behavioural difficulties
After the course, participants will be able to:
- Differentiate between "can’t attend" and "won’t attend"
- Work effectively with any type of attentional difficulty
- Develop individualised, effective action plans
- Decrease frustration and increase positive outcomes.
Frances Steinberg PhD, psychologist, received her doctorate from John Hopkins University in 1975. Frances has worked in a variety of settings including special schools for emotionally and learning disabled students, private practice, and special education services. Frances is the author of numerous books including Working with Difficult Children and Adolescents, Creating Partnerships, Positive Positioning as well as the interactive learning programmes FLEX and De-volution.