Boys' Writing With Power, Jon Winder
Are some of your boys disengaged from writing? This workshop helps teachers turn around boys’ attitudes and enjoyment of writing. You will learn from a boy’s perspective, using technology effectively to create powerful, engaging writing.
Jon Winder has a deep understanding of engaging boys in the classroom and stimulating them to write from their own reality in ways that are meaningful, compelling and engage their readers. An author himself, Jon has taught boys to write for decades, to enjoy using appropriate literary tools and to take pride in the accuracy and depth of their craft.
The Tools You Gain – How to:
- Understand the essence of boys and how their brains work
- Draw out authentic writing and audience contexts
- Develop a powerful learning field of creativity, wonderment and inquiry
- Utilise rich vocabulary, imagery, symbol, sound, contrast, patterns and linkage
- Use models, graphic organisers, scaffolding, recording devises to assist flow
- Edit and publish using current technologies
- Employ techniques: published story and storytelling, poetry, drama, music, photography, video, film, nature, the outdoors
About Jon Winder
- Ministry approved PLD Facilitator
- Decades teaching boys – from gifted students to reluctant writers
- Passionate published writer
- 30 years national and international experience facilitating boys’ learning
- 20 years co-running B-Cool for Boys and Teaching for Excellence Programs
Date: 8 November, 9.30am–3.30pm
Venue: Leys Institute, Ponsonby Auckland
Fee: $300 + GST Early Bird $280 +GST by 29 October
Discounts: $270 + GST per person for 2 staff from same school at same time
$265 + GST per person for 3 or more staff from same school at same time
Registration: Email email@example.com or ph (09) 427 5823.