Starting Off in a New Entrant Setting: Including Transitioning from ECE
This course will provide practical ideas, tips and visual inspiration both for teachers new to this specialised teaching area and for teachers wanting to refresh aspects of their current programme.
We will explore:
- Key features for setting up an effective new entrant learning environment; What does it look like? – What does it feel like? – How is it organised?
- Different approaches to new entrant settings
- Transition to school and what to expect from students in the first few weeks at school
- The importance of continuing foundation and developmental skills
- Opportunities for play, exploration and activities that link ECE with the new entrant setting
- Sharing some literacy and maths ideas for the first few weeks of school;
- Exploring an integrated and thematic approach that children can relate and connect to ……. and bringing back creativity!
- Sharing ideas for resources, equipment, websites and further readings.
- Gain an understanding about key features for setting up an effective new entrant learning environment and an insight into different new entrant settings
- Collaborate and exchange ideas in terms of the teaching and learning that occurs in a new entrant setting
- Acknowledge the importance of continuing foundation / developmental skills with this age group and the need to implement play and exploration into the learning environment.
Facilitated by: Jo Williams at the Ventura Inn Hamilton, 23 Clarence St, Hamilton, from 10am to 4pm
Participant cost: $290.