Mentor teacher programme with Gayle McIlraith
This three-day programme enables mentor teachers to support provisionally certificated teachers’ inquiry into effective practice. The programme examines the role of the mentor teacher and its corresponding responsibilities. Participants will also examine the practising teacher criteria and standards for the teaching profession. They will learn effective ways to give feedback, analyse teacher practice and provide on-going mentoring and reporting.
Over three sessions the programme will cover:
• The role of the mentor teacher
• Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand updates
• The standards for the teaching profession
• The induction and mentoring programme, roles and
• Use of the release component
• Documentation requirements and the registration process.
Inquiry into Practice:
• Observation of practice and feedback to teachers
• Analysis of teacher practice
• Ongoing mentoring and reporting
• The development of portfolios and evidence.