Overseas Trained Teachers with Provisional Certification - OTT Workshop 2, 2019
For all OTTs working towards gaining full certification, teaching in schools (Y1–13).
In term 1 we started our first round of workshops for OTTs focussing on Te Reo Māori, tikanga Māori and culturally responsive pedagogy. To further assist OTTs (and their mentors) in tailoring their induction and mentoring programme to focus on teaching in the New Zealand context we are offering:
OTT Workshop 2: Developing understanding of the New Zealand Curriculum (NZC).
This workshop is being delivered nationwide and recognises the skills OTTs bring to the New Zealand education system. It aims to develop OTTs understanding of the nature of education in Aotearoa/New Zealand and the NZC.
NZC – the essence of the document
- Vision, values, principles and key competencies
- What do these elements look like in your school?
- The role of the Board of Trustees.
- Creating a supportive learning environment
- Engaging reflective thought and action
- Enhancing the relevance of new learning
- Facilitating shared learning
- Making connections to prior learning and experience
- Providing sufficient opportunities to learn.
Teaching as inquiry
- Links to teaching as inquiry with the student at the centre
- Naturally occurring evidence for the standards for the teaching profession.
Progress and achievement
- Formative and summative assessment practices
- Introduction to assessment tools according to primary/secondary contexts (including the learning progressions and NCEA).
There are no course costs for these workshops.
New Zealand (nationwide)
Whare Tapa Rima - Five Sided Home Based Pastoral Care