Transition to School
Jo Williams, an experienced, inspiring teacher will deliver this Transition to School course believing that new entrant teaching is a specialised area, very worthy of bringing both New Entrant and ECE teachers together to jointly work on building links between the ECE and the primary sector.
This course will:
- Collaborate, reciporally network and build connections between the ECE and primary sectors
- Discuss the idea that a child leaving an early childhood setting and starting primary school should be seen as a fluid movement
- Consider the position that the early childhood setting and new entrant setting should overlap in order to benefit the child and his/her social and learning needs during the transition
- Make links between Te Whāriki and the Primary New Zealand Curriculum, exploring dispositions and key competencies with consideration as to how these correspond within our settings;
- Encourage participants to share experiences concerning current early childhood education and primary school links and practices;
- Discuss different approaches to the new entrant setting;
- Explore factors that impact children’s transition to school;
- Present practical ways that EC teachers and new entrant teachers can create smooth transitions from ECE to the primary school;
- Explore the importance of continuing to develop the foundation skills and provide play based activities;
- Present data collected from new entrant primary school teachers concerning what they ideally would like children to have accomplished prior to starting school;
- Share and compare examples of ECE and primary school planning, assessment and reporting;
- Share experiences regarding the balance between teacher-directed activities and unstructured learning;
- Exchange ideas and gain an insight into some of the literacy and maths activities, resources, equipment and websites that are regularly used in both sectors.
Facilitator: Jo Williams.
Venue: Bethlehem Motor Inn, 176 Moffat Road, Tauranga.
Target: New entrant/ECE.
Cost: $290 (incl.GST).
Bay of Plenty