Kiki Kiwi and Friends: Litter Less Programme
In 2018, Keep New Zealand Beautiful (KNZB) launched Kiki Kiwi and friends, as part of the 'Litter Less' programme for students aged 5–11 years old. These litter centric educational resources are based on the adventures of Kiki the Kiwi and his endeavour to stop litterers! They’ve been developed to help 5–11 year olds understand and respond to litter and littering issues. They are aligned with the New Zealand Curriculum and are flexible enough to be taught as a complete unit of work or individual themes can be taught separately.
The resources are presented as 6 inquiry questions, which are separated into 3 interconnected themes and delivered over 12 lessons.
Kiki Kiwi and Friends: Litter Less is an effective and robust environmental education model with the following key principles:
- Authentic teaching and learning contexts
- Collaboration – across year levels, between schools and with the wider community
- Student led journey – an ethos of students being in the ‘driver’s seat’
- Vertical approach – a continuous, cross-curricular learning journey, as students move from kindergarten through to intermediate school
- Professional development and support for teachers.
KNZB distributed resource packs to every primary and intermediate School in New Zealand in 2018. We would love to see these being rolled out as part of your environmental education for 2019!
Feel free to get in touch with us, if you have any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org