BioBlitz – What`s Living in Your Backyard?
During this BioBlitz field trip with LEARNZ, learn how you and your class can undertake your own bioblitz to find out what lives around you. This is practical living world science in action and supports nature of science inquiry.
During this field trip you will:
- Follow tweets from Shelley, the LEARNZ field trip teacher
- Reflect with teacher Maureen Keen and pupils from Mount Somers Springburn School on their own community bioblitz
- Travel to locations such as a backyard, a farm, or natural landscape
- Find, collect, identify, classify and record living things with the iNaturalistNZ app
- Interview and put questions to Living World scientists and rangers
- Evaluate living things for yourself using easy terms like common, rare, native, introduced, pesky or weird!
- Talk to students and others about how they organised their bioblitz and who they needed to help make it a success
- Talk with students about what they have found and learned in their bioblitz and how they measured its success
- Visit ecological restoration areas in Ō Tū Wharekai and follow students planting native species, controlling pests, and monitoring progress.
New Zealand (nationwide)
Live Online Course: Health & Safety Induction Training (Safer Sites)
Bring Aviation STEM into the Classroom with the Air Force
The Royal New Zealand Air Force is committed to investing in young New Zealanders and building their confidence in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) across of all ages.
Are you interested in joining forces with us to get students excited about aviation STEM, thinking about the future and engaged in new and exciting learning opportunities? We are offering a newly designed online package, including exclusive videos, lesson plans, experiments and more!
If you would like to know more, please visit https://rnzaf.schooltoskies.co.nz/community-programs/ or email us direct at firstname.lastname@example.org