BioBlitz – What`s Living in Your Backyard?
During this BioBlitz field trip with LEARNZ, learn how you and your class can undertake your own bioblitz to find out what lives around you. This is practical living world science in action and supports nature of science inquiry.
During this field trip you will:
- Follow tweets from Shelley, the LEARNZ field trip teacher
- Reflect with teacher Maureen Keen and pupils from Mount Somers Springburn School on their own community bioblitz
- Travel to locations such as a backyard, a farm, or natural landscape
- Find, collect, identify, classify and record living things with the iNaturalistNZ app
- Interview and put questions to Living World scientists and rangers
- Evaluate living things for yourself using easy terms like common, rare, native, introduced, pesky or weird!
- Talk to students and others about how they organised their bioblitz and who they needed to help make it a success
- Talk with students about what they have found and learned in their bioblitz and how they measured its success
- Visit ecological restoration areas in Ō Tū Wharekai and follow students planting native species, controlling pests, and monitoring progress.
New Zealand (nationwide)
Kohia Centre – Educational Resources for Schools and Teachers
The Kohia Centre retail store has supplied a wide range of educational and teaching resources for over 20 years. These include: curriculum resources; educational publications; classroom support materials and teaching accessories such as stickers, borders, poster, etc.
Call us, visit our store or shop online. We offer a nationwide delivery service.
Kohia Centre, Faculty of Education and Social Work, The University of Auckland, Gate 1, 78 Epsom Avenue, Epsom, Auckland 1023; ph (09) 623 8977; email: email@example.com
Shop hours: Monday to Thursday 8am–4.30pm.
Friday 8am–4pm (parking at Gate 2).
Teacher-Led Innovation Fund (TLIF) Regional Workshops
Proposals for the current round of the Teacher-led Innovation Fund are due by 27 February.
Visit our website for application materials www.education.govt.nz/school/working-in-a-school/scholarships-for-people-working-in-schools/teacher-led-innovation-fund.
We’re providing hands-on support for interested applicants through a series of regional workshops this month. It will be an opportunity for you to test your thinking, learn from previously funded TLIF projects, and have your questions answered.
If you plan on attending, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.