Engaging Learners Through Drama - Whakamana, Mana Reo
This course, for NE–Y8 and ECE teachers, will explore creative ways to engage in a rich variety of language learning using drama.
Drama draws on children's experience, their culture, their whānau, and their love of exploration and play. It is a text rich learning area that brings together multiple literacies and modern learning practices. Research shows drama boosts literacy including writing.
At this course there will be opportunities to learn about:
- developing strategies to improve children's listening, speaking and social learning
- using drama processes to support literacy learning
- fostering whakamana and capability to learn
- stimulating children's creativity and love of story
- challenging children to ask questions and think critically about the world around them
- the experience of drama as an active way of learning
- extending children's natural artistry and imaginative play.
Dates: 2–4 October.
Venue: Kelburn Normal School, Kelburn, Wellington
Planning Committee: Charles Bisley (course director), Danielle Sanders, Judy Norton, Juliet Cottrell
Registration costs: Full fee $480 / early bird (by 2 August) $380.
Registration fee includes catering during the course time and dinner on Thursday 3 October.
Accommodation: Single (standard) $460.00 / twin share (standard) $270.
Accommodation for the nights of 2–3 October, including breakfast.
TRCC subsidise teachers' travel as per our travel policy for the first 20 Early Bird paid registrations for this course.
For more information and to register go to www.trcc.org.nz