Earth and Space Science (ESS)
Earth and Space Science (ESS) – teaching the externally assessed standards at Levels 2 and 3
Earth and Space Science (ESS) is still a relatively new subject in the New Zealand secondary school context. Teachers that are teaching or are interested in teaching ESS often have some Earth Sciences or astronomical background but may want to extend their breadth of knowledge in this subject to support increased effectiveness in their teaching.
This course will:
- address NCEA Levels 2 and 3 content needed for the externally assessed standards, especially emphasizing concepts that students find difficult
- use old assessments and exam questions to support teacher understanding of the difference between evidence of student learning at Achieved, Merit and Excellence
- explore texts, workbooks and online resources that support teaching and learning in ESS
At the completion of the course participants will have:
- Increased confidence in ability to teach the content required for the externally assessed ESS standards, either as a whole subject or as part of a science course.
- Knowledge of resources and enrichment activities to support effective teaching that ensures the achievement of standards.
Contact: Kohia Centre
(09) 623 8977