Sustainable Seas Virtual Field Trip with LEARNZ
Sustainable seas – essential for New Zealand's health and wealth.
We are an island nation with very close ties to the marine environment. Our marine estate (New Zealand's exclusive economic zone or EEZ) is 20 times larger than our land mass. 75% of us live within 10km of the sea.
On this field trip during Seaweek, your students will tackle a major New Zealand problem: the conflict between the many uses of our marine environment.
To prepare for this field trip, LEARNZ content will support inquiry into:
- our marine environment ecosystems
- different types of marine ecosystems
- what marine ecosystems do for humans and the environment (ecosystem services)
- what's a stakeholder?
- who are the stakeholders in the New Zealand marine environment?
- cultural, spiritual, economic and environmental values
- our marine environment under stress
- ecosystem-based management (EBM)
- our commitment to Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- the Sustainable Seas National Science Challenge
- Resources on the Science Learning Hub
- The Challenge
- Using EBM
During this field trip you will:
- follow tweets from Shelley the LEARNZ field trip teacher
- travel to Tasman Bay in the Tasman District
- take a boat ride with researchers
- work with scientists to design experiments
- use instruments and technology to measure our marine environment
- survey users of the marine environment
- investigate marine ecosystem services such as providing food, and removing pollutants
- meet and question researchers involved in the Sustainable Seas National Science Challenge
- follow what's happening on the website and on twitter at #learnztrip
After the field trip, challenge yourself to:
- investigate how your local marine environment benefits your community and region
- get involved in helping make good decisions about our marine environment
- consider what makes marine spaces important to other people
- sign up for the Sustainable Seas newsletter to get news and updates about research and working with communities
New Zealand (nationwide)
Contact: Barrie Matthews
(027) 223 0342
Live Online Course: Health & Safety Induction Training (Safer Sites)
Bring Aviation STEM into the Classroom with the Air Force
The Royal New Zealand Air Force is committed to investing in young New Zealanders and building their confidence in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) across of all ages.
Are you interested in joining forces with us to get students excited about aviation STEM, thinking about the future and engaged in new and exciting learning opportunities? We are offering a newly designed online package, including exclusive videos, lesson plans, experiments and more!
If you would like to know more, please visit https://rnzaf.schooltoskies.co.nz/community-programs/ or email us direct at firstname.lastname@example.org