Earth and Space Science (ESS) – Five Years On, with Jenny Pollock
ESS is an excellent subject for students to take who are interested in environmental, marine and earth sciences; but it also is equally good for Science courses that focus on Citizen Science and scientific literacy.
In this course we will:
- consider how teaching, learning and assessment of ESS topics can heighten students’ awareness and knowledge of important planetary issues
- share ESS resources developed over the last 5 years
- share ideas for field trips, and other EOTC activities
- look at NZQA reports such as Conditions of Assessment, Clarifications and Moderation and Examiners Reports and Exam specifications
- develop a teaching and learning programme in a specific ESS topic.
At the completion of the course participants will:
- Have an increased confidence in their ability to teach and ssess Earth and Space Science, either as a whole subject or as part of a Science course.
- Access suitable resources for their students, such as sites for field trips and ideas for other EOTC
- Have a heightened awareness of the role ESS can play in teaching planetary issues, scientific literacy and Citizen Science.
Contact: Kohia Centre
(09) 623 8977