Learning Support for Secondary Students
This half day course is designed to give support staff team leaders, learning support staff, teacher aides and literacy assistants a background in understanding at risk learners, identifying needs and implementing strategies, resources and programmes to maximise potential.
Course break down:
- Understanding learner groups and needs
- What are underpinning weaknesses and how do they affect student achievement
- Setting achievement goals
- Understanding and implementing accommodations and strategies.
- Creating effective learning environments for at risk students
- Screening assessments
- Making referrals
- Programme Planning
- Resources and programmes
- Addressing underpinning weaknesses
- Monitoring progress
Ideally a SENCO/team leader should attend with support staff to maximise the benefits and outcomes achievable. Support staff who attend without a team leader will still gain significant benefit.
South Auckland – 2 November.
Hamilton – 3 November.
Rotorua – 7 November.
Gisborne – 9 November.
Napier – 10 November.
New Plymouth – 14 November.
Palmerston North – 15 November.
Upper Hutt – 16 November.