Junior Reading: Building a Strong Foundation in the First Year, Whanganui
Following on from our “Off to a flying Start” workshops where we outlined the findings from the revision of Ready to Read we are presenting 2 workshops to guide teachers in how to provide a rich language based learning environment that reinforces the processing and comprehension strategies that need to be built in the first year of school.
This course will demonstrate how to implement the revisions described in the Ready to Read review with a focus on the use of oral language in the classroom.
These workshops will support teachers to..
- link the various approaches of read to, shared reading and guided and independent reading.
- embed the development of phonological awareness in context.
- use formative assessment to identify teaching points for instructional teaching.
- introduce guided texts so readers develop agency
- support struggling readers in order to achieve National Standard expectations after one year at school.
These will be hands on workshops with the expectation that strategies will be trialled in classrooms between sessions and shared with others.
Contact: Kohia Centre
(09) 623 8977