Paying Attention to Attention: Finding the Causes for Poor Concentration and Distractibility
Frances Steinberg, Auckland.
Do you have students who daydream rather than concentrate or who don’t sit still long enough to learn? How many times do you need to repeat instructions that are still not followed?
Attention influences how we learn, interact socially, and maintain appropriate behaviour. This exciting course will examine key causes of poor concentration and distractibility including:
• Autistic spectrum disorders
• Foetal alcohol spectrum disorders
• Medical/biological issues
• Visual/auditory/kinesthetic processing disorders
• Social/emotional/behavioural difficulties
After the course, participants will be able to:
• differentiate between can’t attend and won’t attend
• work effectively with any type of attentional difficulty
• develop individualised, effective action plans
• decrease frustration and increase positive outcomes
Contact: Kohia Centre
(09) 623 8977